Implementing CheckpointableInputFormat

Lu Niu
Hi, Team

I am implementing a custom InputFormat. Shall I implement CheckpointableInputFormat interface? If I don't, does that mean the whole job has to restart given only one task fails? I ask because I found all InputFormat implements CheckpointableInputFormat, which makes me confused. Thank you!

Best
Lu

Re: Implementing CheckpointableInputFormat

Fabian Hueske-2
Hi,

CheckpointableInputFormat is only relevant if you plan to use the InputFormat in a MonitoringFileSource, i.e., in a streaming application.
If you plan to use it in a DataSet (batch) program, InputFormat is fine.

Btw. the latest release Flink 1.9.0 has major improvements for the recovery of batch jobs.

Best, Fabian